Joseph Newburger House (Memphis - Shelby County)

Dublin Core


Joseph Newburger House (Memphis - Shelby County)


The Joseph Newburger House was constructed in 1912 for Joseph Newburger, owner of the Newburger Cotton Company. The Newburger Cotton Company began in Mississippi in 1893. Within three years, the company grew and expanded to Memphis. Newburger’s business acumen and influence played a critical role in the cotton industry and commercial development of the Mississippi Valley. Joseph Newburger's career included his ownership of the Federal Compress and Warehouse Company, partnership in businesses from New York to Louisiana, and the board of managers for leading Jewish and non-Jewish hospitals throughout the country. At the peak of his cotton career, in 1912, Newburger commissioned Memphis architects William Julius Hanker and Baynard S. Cairns to design the house. The building is now owned by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church who uses the building for the Memphis Theological Seminary. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.


Hanker & Cains, architects


National Register of Historic Places. Joseph Newburger House. Memphis, Shelby County Tennessee. NR #82004050.




Johnson, Elizabeth, photographer.


19th Century; 20th Century


Hanker & Cains, architects, “Joseph Newburger House (Memphis - Shelby County),” Tennessee Jewish Heritage Digital Archive Project, accessed September 29, 2020,

Output Formats