Temple Adas Israel (Brownsville - Haywood County)

Dublin Core

Title

Temple Adas Israel (Brownsville - Haywood County)

Description

The establishment of Brownsville's first Jewish congregation dates back to the arrival of the earliest Jewish immigrants in Brownsville in the 1840s and 1850s. The Felsenthals arrived and established a business in Brownsville in the 1840s, but the arrival of German-Jewish immigrants Joseph and Jacob Sternberger in the early 1860s is noted as the start of Congregation Adas Israel as they brought to Brownsville the congregation's first Torah. Despite the growth of the Jewish population in the 1860s and 1870s, Brownsville's Jewish community met in members homes and businesses until they formally organized Congregation Adas Israel and constructed Temple Adas Israel in 1881-1882. The synagogue was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 19, 1979 and is the oldest extant synagogue in Tennessee.

Creator

Eader & Son, contractors.

Source

Temple Adas Israel. "History." http://brownsvilletemple.org/history.

Date

1882

Contributor

Johnson, Elizabeth, photographer.

Relation

Adas Israel Cemetery (Brownsville - Haywood County)

Coverage

19th Century; 20th Century

Citation

Eader & Son, contractors., “Temple Adas Israel (Brownsville - Haywood County),” Tennessee Jewish Heritage Digital Archive Project, accessed November 12, 2019, http://tennesseejewishheritage.org/items/show/34.

Output Formats