Kahn Brothers Building (Bolivar - Hardeman County)

Dublin Core

Title

Kahn Brothers Building (Bolivar - Hardeman County)

Description

Kahn Bros. was a leading mercantile firm in Bolivar for nearly fifty years with a history dating to the 1840s. In the 1840s, Henry and Louise Newberger Kahn immigrated from Germany and settled in Bolivar, Hardeman County, by 1844. Upon arrival, Henry established himself as a landowner and proprietor of a prosperous mercantile establishment. After building a family of five children, in 1853, Henry began a similar business in Louisville, while his family remained in Bolivar. The Kahn family grew in prominence as large landholders and merchants. In 1878, H. Kahn and Sons moved into the building known today as the Kahn Bros. building. Following his death in 1882, Henry Kahn left his business to his four sons—Marcus, Isaac, Jacob, and Samuel. Following Jacob and Samuel’s departure from the family business, Isaac and Marcus renamed the firm “Kahn Bros.” They continued to operate the store until the late 1890s. The Kahn Bros. building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in (NR-80003830) on January 10, 1980, as a contributing structure to the Bolivar Court Square Historic District.

Source

National Register of Historic Places. Bolivar Court Square Historic District. Bolivar, Hardeman County, Tennessee. National Register #80003830.

Date

1878

Contributor

Johnson, Elizabeth, photographer.

Relation

Kahn House (Bolivar - Hardeman County)

Coverage

19th century; 20th century

Citation

“Kahn Brothers Building (Bolivar - Hardeman County),” Tennessee Jewish Heritage Digital Archive Project, accessed November 12, 2019, http://tennesseejewishheritage.org/items/show/18.

Output Formats