Tuchfeld's Store (Jackson - Madison County)

Dublin Core

Title

Tuchfeld's Store (Jackson - Madison County)

Description

Tuchfeld’s store was a leading dry goods and clothing business in Jackson for over 100 years. From their arrival in Jackson, the Tuchfeld family played an important role in the development of Jackson’s economy and Jewish community. Sol Tuchfeld was born June 22, 1845 in Austria. According to the 1900 United States Federal Census, Solomon Tuchfeld arrived in the United States in 1864 from Alsace Lorraine. By 1869, Sol went into business with his nephew, Jake Hoffman. Shortly after, they dissolved their partnership and the firm was renamed Sol Tuchfeld and Sons. Throughout their existence, Tuchfeld’s operated stores in the following locations prior to its final location at 217 E. Lafayette: 108 – 110 E. Lafayette, 111 E. Main, 116 N. Liberty, 115 E. Lafayette, 212 N. Liberty, and 211 N. Market. In addition to their business, Sol and his wife Rebecca were active in the establishment of Congregation B’nai Israel. Sol was listed among the first officers and trustees on Congregation B’nai Israel’s charter, issued May 14, 1885. Following Sol’s death, Tuchfeld’s remained in operation by his son, Joe, and grandson, Sol Emile, until it closed in 1974.

Source

Emma Inman Williams, “Madison County History,” The Jackson Sun, March 25, 1945, page 5.
“Tuchfeld’s History as Jackson Store Dates Back to 1869,” The Jackson Sun, October 4, 1948, Section Two, page 2.

Contributor

Johnson, Elizabeth, photographer.

Coverage

19th century; 20th century

Citation

“Tuchfeld's Store (Jackson - Madison County),” Tennessee Jewish Heritage Digital Archive Project, accessed November 12, 2019, http://tennesseejewishheritage.org/items/show/122.

Output Formats