B'nai Sholom Congregation (Bristol - Sullivan County)

Dublin Core

Title

B'nai Sholom Congregation (Bristol - Sullivan County)

Description

The earliest Jewish settlers arrived into the tri-cities area of Johnson City, Bristol, and Kingsport in the 1880s. By 1904, this early group, comprised of both Reform and Orthodox Jews, united to establish a formal Jewish congregation--B'nai Sholom; in 1905, land was purchased for a Jewish cemetery. Their first place of worship was a small house the congregation purchased in 1926. However, outgrowing this facility, B'nai Sholom demolished the house and completed construction on their first permanent synagogue in 1927. The King Street Temple was situated in the line of a proposed through-way forcing the congregation to relocate. By 1958, B'nai Sholom purchased new land outside of Bristol and constructed a community center that was actively used by the congregation by 1960. At this time, the congregation formally affiliated with the Conservative movement and joined the United Synagogue. Due to the congregation's difficulties maintaining a full-time rabbi, they joined the Reform Union of American Hebrew Congregations in the 1970s to gain access to the student rabbis from the Hebrew Union College.

Source

Congregation B'nai Sholom Records. Archives of Appalachia. https://archives.etsu.edu/repositories/2/resources/416 Accessed March 28, 2019.

Date

1958

Contributor

Johnson, Elizabeth, photographer.

Coverage

20th Century

Citation

“B'nai Sholom Congregation (Bristol - Sullivan County),” Tennessee Jewish Heritage Digital Archive Project, accessed November 12, 2019, http://tennesseejewishheritage.org/items/show/118.

Output Formats